The hubs recently picked up a bottle of New Hampshire Hall of Flags American Whiskey, which benefits preservation of a collection of historic flags. It’s a light, easy drinking blended whiskey, so I decided to create a simple cocktail using black cherries in a simple homemade shrub syrup made with vanilla beans, apple cider vinegar, and sugar.
- Several shrub syrup cherries in the bottom of the glass
- 2 oz whiskey or bourbon
- 1 oz black cherry vanilla shrub syrup
- Top with club soda
- Garnish with a black cherry
Black Cherry Vanilla Shrub
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb washed black cherries
- 2 vanilla bean pods, split down the middle
Combine the water and sugar over medium-low heat and stir until dissolved. Add your cherries, vanilla, and vinegar and simmer until the fruit begins to break down. Allow to cool, strain (reserve the fruit) and enjoy. Store in the refrigerator.