Watermelon Shortcake Recipe
For the watermelon:
• 2+ cups watermelon (balled or cubed)
• 1/2 cup+ sugar (using 1 cup+ will result in a thicker and more flavorful sauce)
• Juice of 1/2 a lime
• Generous pinch of lime zest
• Pinch of salt
For the whipped cream:
• 2 cups heavy cream
• 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake:
You can use storebought cakes or biscuits or make your own shortcake. I recommend a softer cake style – here is a great cake recipe:
1. If making your own cake, preheat the oven and then begin assembling the watermelon mixture. Prepare and bake your dough as instructed.
2. Combine the ingredients for the watermelon mixture in a medium bowl and stir to completely coat the melon. Cover and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, whip together the cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
4. To build the dessert, top slices of cake with a layer of the watermelon mixture followed by a layer of whipped cream. Create a second layer if using traditional shortcake or thinly sliced cake. Top each portion with whipped cream and a generous sprinkle of fresh lime zest.
The Barbie Margarita Recipe!
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled. Strain into a double old fashioned glass filled with pebble ice. You can also serve it up in a cocktail glass, or over regular ice in an old fashioned glass. Throw everything in a blender with 3/4 cup of ice for a frozen version. Garnish with lime and something pink or red, if you’re feeling fancy.
Make it non-alcoholic: Use an N/A tequila like Ritual Zero Proof or just combine the lime and the syrup in a tall glass over ice, then top with sparkling water. Garnish as desired.