If you love classic Margaritas and appreciate premium spirits, this is a Margarita variation to try! Añejo tequila, freshly squeezed lime juice, premium triple sec, and an exotic coconut orange blossom syrup come together in this top shelf tropical Margarita riff.
I created this luscious Coconut Orange Blossom Margarita recipe in partnership with Santera tequila to showcase their añejo expression. The vanilla and spice notes of the aged tequila immediately made me want to pair it with coconut and floral flavors.
How to make coconut orange blossom simple syrup
Orange blossom water has an intense, flowery, tropical scent, and when used sparingly, it adds a beautiful perfume to cocktails and cuisine. Just a mist of the floral water over a finished cocktail or in the glass before pouring can add a whole new dimension of flavor. In order to better control the amount of floral flavor in each drink, I decided to add it directly to my coconut simple syrup. Although it sounds very fancy, my coconut orange blossom simple syrup couldn’t be simpler! Combine equal parts water and sugar, stir until combined, then add a bit of high quality coconut extract and a dash of orange blossom water. It’s that easy. And incredibly delicious! I highly recommend going with the best quality coconut extract and orange blossom water you’re able to find. It makes a big difference in the flavor of the final cocktail.
Disclosure: This post includes Amazon affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission at no cost to you.
What is añejo tequila?
Añejo tequila is aged for 1-3 years and is super smooth with a golden or light brown color. Some common anejo tequila flavors are oak, vanilla, caramel, and spice. Añejos are often reserved for sipping, rather than mixing in cocktails. Because anejo tequilas are special, and often rather expensive bottles, I only use them in premium cocktails like this one I’m making to celebrate National Margarita Day. It’s February 22, if you weren’t in the know!
Coconut Orange Blossom Anejo Margarita
- 2 oz anejo tequila I used Santera
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 oz premium triple sec I used Cointreau
- 1/2 oz coconut orange blossom simple syrup*
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and fill 3/4 with ice.
- Shake until chilled, about 12 seconds. Stain into a coupe glass garnished with edible flower petals (if desired).
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp quality coconut extract (I used Flavorganics)
- 1/4 tsp orange blossom water
- Combine the sugar and water and stir until dissolved (no need to use heat).
- Add the extract and flower water and stir to combine.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Tip: Add an ounce of vodka or grain alcohol to help the syrup last longer.