Aquavit, Aperol, and lime juice form a cocktail trifecta in this crisp and refreshing aquavit sour. This is an incredibly simple but tasty way to get to know a new bottle of aquavit. I enjoy it best with Ahus Akvavit.
This unexpected combination of aquavit, Aperol, and lime is crisp, fruity, and herbal, making it a fun happy hour option for the imbiber in search of something a bit different.
Aquavit is a clear spirit produced in Scandinavian countries and flavored with a variety of botanicals, including caraway and citrus peels. It has a unique herbal flavor that works particularly well in cocktails with citrus such a lime or grapefruit, and vegetables, such as cucumber.
The Nordic Summer has prominent herbal notes from the aquavit, balanced with the brightness of lime juice and bittersweet Aperol.
Crisp and a bit on the dry side
I love the simple, slightly dry nature of this cocktail. Aperol is a bittersweet, but quite mild (and fairly sweet) liqueur, so for me, it’s sweet enough to balance the lime.
However, if you prefer a sweeter drink, or are sensitive to bitter flavors, feel free to add a quarter to a half ounce of simple syrup.
Don’t forget to finish the cocktail with expressed orange oils. The fresh oils add brightness and enhance the sweetness of the Aperol.
If you enjoy aquavit, you may also like these other cocktail recipes:
- Midnight Sunshine – a Frozen Aquavit Cocktail with Peaches and Thyme
- Elderflower & Grapefruit Aquavit Sour
- Aquavit Negroni
- Cranberry Aquavit & Tonic
- Garden Fairy Cocktail
- 2 oz aquavit I recommend Ahus Akvavit
- 1 oz Aperol
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and fill 3/4 with ice.
- Shake until well chilled, about 12 seconds.
- Strain into a coupe glass (preferably chilled).
- Garnish with an expressed orange twist.