Do you love Old Fashioneds? Try this Chocolate Cherry Cognac Old Fashioned this Valentine’s Day!
This cocktail is for the imbiber with a preference for spirit-forward and smooth, with just a hint of classic Valentine’s Day flavors thanks to chocolate liqueur and cherry bitters.
The chocolate liqueur chosen makes a big difference with the end result, so go for a premium crème de cacao like Tempus Fugit Crème de Cacao a la Vanille. This is my preferred crème de cacao because of its rich, authentic chocolate flavor that’s nicely balanced with vanilla. It works beautifully in cocktails without ever feeling too sweet.
No spirit says l’amour to me more than cognac, so this would be my top choice for a pre-dinner or even after-dinner cocktail for Valentine’s Day celebrations. With so many Valentine’s Day cocktails being focused on bright pinks and reds, or super-decadent-rich-and-creamy, this one is a bit more of the strong silent type. Serve this Old Fashioned in a brandy balloon for an extra sexy Valentine’s sip.
Chocolate Cherry Cognac Old Fashioned
- 2 oz cognac
- 1/4 oz creme de cacao I used Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao a la Vanille
- 3 dashes cherry bitters I used Owl & Whale
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and fill 3/4 with ice.
- Stir until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice (or one large cube).
- Garnish with an expressed orange twist and a chocolate truffle.