This recipe originally appeared in a winter seasonal food + drink pairing with my Winter Buddha Bowl, but given the immense popularity of the cocktail recipe by itself, I decided it was time to give it its own dedicated recipe page! You can find more winter citrus cocktails here.
Who doesn’t love a simple, seasonal cocktail? This light, crisp Grapefruit & Pomegranate Sour is a great lunch or dinner-time cocktail, made with vodka, grapefruit, lemon, and a honey pomegranate syrup. Tip: if you’re a gin lover, feel free to substitute with a nice junipery London Dry, or even a fruity grapefruit gin like Malfy Gin Rosa!
Quick & Easy Honey Pomegranate Syrup
Don’t be intimidated by the special syrup, this one takes very little prep and just a minute or two to combine ingredients. You can use freshly pressed pomegranate juice, or a brand like POM, it’s up to you. I like to use fresh juice when I can find pomegranates at the store.
Simply mix 1/2 cup of honey with 1/2 cup of water, add 1/2 cup of pomegranate juice, stir, and voila! I like to use warm water to speed up the process, but you can use room temperature water and the honey will dissolve almost as quickly. There’s no need to cook or boil anything and make more dirty dishes. Simply mix and store the syrup in the same mason jar or other resealable container. This Honey Pomegranate Syrup should keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
Grapefruit & Pomegranate Vodka Sour
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 1 oz freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
- 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 oz honey pomegranate syrup*
- *To make the Honey Pomegranate Syrup, add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup honey to a mason jar and stir until the honey dissolves. Add 1/2 cup of pomegranate juice and stir to combine.
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and fill 3/4 with ice. Shake until chilled, about 12 seconds.
- Strain into a double rocks glass filled with pebble or cracked ice.
- Garnish with grapefruit and a sprig of rosemary.